Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Its not about the gear stupid

Its not about the gear stupid


Bumped into a photographer friend this morning in town on the way to work, and after we parted (about 15 minutes later), I realised that all we had talked about was gear. 5DMk3 this, 70-200mm that, Nikon blah blah, Canon hoo haa.

What is it with photographers and their gear? Do dentists who bump into each other talk about the latest drill? Do mechanics talk about the latest spanner? Maybe they do? (Any dentists or mechanics out there who can verify this?).

Im obviously as guilty as the next bloke - although I do fluctuate between two complete polar opposites in the gear vs talent debate. Its been very fashionable for a while now to put the gearhead aspect of photography down. You have to have been living under a rock for the last few years not to have heard the best camera is the one you have with you mantra bought up time and time again by the insanely gifted. To which I say - CRAP! Oh, and by the way, what do these what you have with you exponents have with them most of the time? Canon 1DXs or the latest iPhone 4G of course. Quite frankly Im thoroughly sick of the whole I just take my iphone with me on holiday and get beatiful 8x10" prints brigade. Ive got an old iPhone 3 and the camera on that thing is just crap (oh no, I said crap again!)

Go up to a sport photographer at the Olympics and tell him his gear doesnt matter. Go on, I dare you. Would he swap that new 12fps Canon 1Dx for my iPhone 3? I think not. And I wouldnt expect him to either. I find the whole gear doesnt matter thing so condescending it makes me want to spit (in case you hadnt already noticed).

BUT - (and yes, theres always a but), nor do I hold to the whole got to have the latest and the greatest gear mentality either. Do you use a Canon? Do you use a Nikon? Or, heaven forfend - do you use a Sony? To which I say - who gives a flying...... what brand of camera you own? Use a Pentax for all I care - although really, why would you!  :-)  (joking people, joking).

Has it got 6MP, 8MP, 12MP or 36MP!? Who cares? Ive owned three of the four megapixel ratings mentioned (guess which is the odd one out), and no client has EVER asked me how many megapixels my camera has. Granted, Im not shooting for billboards - or cropping heavily - but if you are, or do, then it becomes a real question of need - not merely of keeping up with everybody else. And who really cares whether those 12MP came from a Canon or Nikon? I mean, really....

Most of us are shooting for the web, or computer screen viewing now anyway, arent we?

Heres a test for you...


Can anyone tell me, just by looking at the image above, whether it was shot on a Canon or a Nikon? Is it from a 6MP, 8MP, 12MP or 24MP camera? Was I wearing sneakers or bare feet when I took the shot? Are any of these questions relevant?

Of course not. All that really matters is whether Ive taken a good photo or not. And this is where the technical capabilities of the gear come into play. Am I happy with lens choice, depth of field, is it sharp where I want it to be?

How about another image...


What about this shot? Is it digital? Is it film? Was it cropped to a square image, or shot on medium format? Was it converted to black and white from colour? Again - is it Canon, Nikon or Sony?

More important, for my growth as a photographer, Id much rather ask - is it a good composition? Does the image have something to say? Is it graphically pleasing? Have I taken it at the right angle so that it expresses what I wanted to say? Was the camera working with me, or against me (the gear matters part of the picture equation).

And finally...


All the same questions as the previous image apply - even though the two photos couldnt have been captured more differently.

When we stop, and concentrate on the image, then no, the gear doesnt matter. BUT - of course it does matter, by allowing you to take the kind of image that you have in your minds eye in the first place. With technology moving at such an alarming rate - and no sign of this slowing up any time soon - the line between want, and need, can easily become blurred.

In the end, though, all I really want to be is a better photographer. Do I really need the latest Nikon D4? Of course not. Will simply owning it make me a better photographer? Ah - no.

And for the record - the first image was taken on an Olympus Pen EP3 - as was the second image. The last image is... film. Taken on a Bronica S2 medium format 6x6 camera. And it also happens to be my favourite image of the bunch.

Available link for download